Català Castellano English Deutsch Français русский
Where to eat Where to sleep What to do Activities Businesses and services
Home
Welcome
The town
The coast and nature
Location
Cuisine
Picture gallery
Links
Weather
Terres de l'Ebre
Information for visitors
Contact
Suggestion box
Mailing list
Downloads
L'Ampolla is the offspring of the beautiful Mediterranean Sea and the lively River Ebro. Currents of sea and river, playing with the sand and waves, formed a huge lake, which eventually took the shape of a 'bottle' (Ampolla in Catalan); a name that was then given to the small fishing village that sprang up close to the mouth of this river.

The town's origins date back to the time of the Iberian tribes. Historians have identified L'Ampolla as being the Hellenic city known as Lebedontia, populated by the Iber tribe known as the edentants or erdets. Remains of Roman and Pre-Roman occupation in the form of coins, amphoras and antefixes (baked clay images in the shape of a woman) have confirmed that the roots of the village go right back to these times.

L'Ampolla's history is closely linked to fishing and sea trade. In fact, in the middle of the 16th century, Pope Adrian VI embarked from the town on a voyage to Rome. During the last third of the 19th century, progress began to be made along the Spanish coast and L'Ampolla came within the scope of influence of the large Catalan cities. In 1867 the L'Ampolla railway station was built and the first train began operating on 8 May in the same year.

In its early days, L'Ampolla was a stopping point along the cam ral (royal path) from Tarragona to Valencia. Historical documents from the 16th century tell of a number of fishermen's families living around the site of the town. Towards the end of the 19th century, the town's beaches began to become popular for bathing; to such an extent that a special bather's train was put into operation linking Tortosa with L'Ampolla.

Some great historical events have affected the town. In 1917, during the 1st World War, the ship Maxsherda was sunk by a German submarine. The French government presented the town with a bronze statue as a sign of appreciation for the way the town came to the aid of the shipwrecked people.

However, throughout the 20th century, the main historical matter for L'Ampolla was its struggle for independence. On 16 January 1937, the Official Gazette of the Generalitat (the Autonomous Government of Catalonia) published a decree in which it acknowledged the separation of the district of L'Ampolla from the municipality of Perell and its status as an independent municipal district. When, in 1938, the decree of Burgos was enacted, all the legal activities of the republican government were prohibited and thus the decree acknowledging the independence of L'Ampolla was also suspended.

The town of L'Ampolla's desire for independence arose once more with the end of the Franco regime. In 1976 the Independence Committee was set up. It succeeded in initiating the legal processes for independence. However, it was not until 15 November 1989 that the Spanish Supreme Court ruled that it was in favour of the new municipal district of L'Ampolla being created. Three months later, on 28 February 1990, a new judgement was ruled by the Supreme Court that completed the process for self-government of the town of L'Ampolla, as a municipality within Catalonia. The Town Council was set up on 5 May 1990.
Patronat de Turisme de l'Ampolla Place Manel Ferrer, 3 43895 LAmpolla 977 59 30 11 977 46 00 18
info@ampolla.org site map legal notice